Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen lymph nodes
Jun 3, 2012

On dec 20th, I had unprotected insertive anal sex for less than one minute. Then in one dec 28th i came down with tonisolitis. I took my antibiotics and the fever and swollen lymph nodes went away. I stop taking the antibiotics and i got sick again but this time it was pneumonia. Could this have been from contracting HIV for that incident? Aldo, then in early march, i starting feeling pain in my lymph nodes and I came down with something in tonsils. I got white patches on them and swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I took antibiotics and the fever and white stuff on the tonsils when away. However, i still have pain in my armpit lymph nodes and in both my armpit and neck i have swollen lymph nodes. What is my chance that I could be infected with hiv? does it help that the other guy tested 6 weeks after dec 20th and came out negative. this was 7 weeks after his last sexual encounter.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You had unprotected sex and therefore put yourself at risk for HIV. The symptoms you are experiencing could be from ongoing tonsillitis, HIV symptoms are generally flu like symptoms, rash, low grade fever..This doesn't sound like HIV but since you had unprotected sex you need to be tested. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you. So the answer to your other question about your partners test, he could have been tested during this window period as well.

I highly encourage you to get tested to ensure you know your status.

Be well, Shannon

Previous
common warts finger open wound
Next
Unsure and scared to test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.