Is it 3 or 6 months?!

Hi Dr. Wohl,

I had an unprotected anal exposure and tested negative at 4 weeks. My teen clinic doctor, personal doctor, and the infectious disease doctor at Kaiser all said that 6 months is the only conclusive time. I'm so confused right now, because you guys here say that 3 months is conclusive, as well as others on other HIV sites.

Considering how you're an associate professor, can you offer me some advice? I'm going back in one month to get my final test done.

This is a weird question, but, Can your mind make you feel sick? I think I was stressing over having symptoms that were only allergies, and I started feeling kind of sick. Is this possible?

Thanks. I'm very confused and worried right now.

I say 3 months given the much improved ability of HIV testing now. Certainly and full professor may want to over rule this :) This is especially the case with tests that combine antibody and p24 antigen.

Yes, the mind can make you ill - just read many of the posts to this forum where worried well become unwell with anxiety.

D

Questions about Symptoms of HIV
Is it safe for someone HIV negative to use a hot tub with someone HIV positive?