Only DNA proviral was positive for HIV 2

Im from Portugal.

I work in National Health System and I've heard about a black patient from Africa with pancytopenia and leishamania.CD4 was very low(<200). Antibody to HIV comes negative, as well WB. Only DNA proviral was positive for HIV 2. AIDS was confirmed. Why this happens? AIDS patients with very low CD4 do not produce antibodies? Could liver disease caused by leishamania contributes to no antibody response? This is a very rare case I hope.

Thank for your attention.

I am not sure of the specific here but could be the patient had HIV-2 and was tested for only HIV-1. In most places (like the US) the HIV antibody test looks for both viruses but could be in others just HIV-1 is looked for. I do not this his low CD4 or lesihmaniasis would do this.

touching penis when massage
Dr. Wohl, thanks for your time, but the test was done at 5 months 20 days.