Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Symptoms 3 days after exposure
May 30, 2012

About 2 months ago I had anal sex lasting 5 minutes and realized the condom broke. I noticed pain urinating 2 days later and got tested and was positive for gonorrhea. On days 3 and 4 I awoke with night sweats but never again. I came down with a cold as well that week. I did not have a fever. No signs of any visable skin rashes. I did have swollen lymph nodes in my groin only (lasting 2 weeks). Not sure if it may have been caused by the gonorrhea infection. I had diarrhea lasting a week as well. (The diarrhea started before I began my doxycycline medication). All of these symptoms were gone 2 weeks after the exposure. I have heard that symptoms of HIV will not show for atleast 2 weeks. It is also important to note that I was not thinking of HIV infection until after I had symptoms. What do you think my risk is of contracting the virus and having those symptoms that soon? Thank you for your help.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Unfortunately with the condom breaking you did put yourself at risk, obviously with contracting gonorrhea. Getting HIV tested is important.The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you. Everyone develops signs and symptoms at different times. Getting tested is the only way to truly know your status.

Be well and get tested! Shannon

Previous
Brief receptive anal without ejaculation
Next
aids transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.