The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral swab tests..+ve , in conclusive ,- ve . Next day blood test EIA non reactive after 3 months.

May 28, 2012

Hello doctor, I involved in sex with a massage girl on Jan 10 2012. I used condom. I went to massage girl again on April 15 2012. But this time I didn't had sex, i just had massage and hand job with out condom. She also did anal finger for me.(I guess low risk).

I had a oral swab test on April 18 2012 and it came out positve. I explained the volunteer every thing and he re tested me again with oral swab as he thought i am in low risk. This time its inconclusive. He asked me to drink some water and took 3rd oral swab which came out negative.

So I had positive,inconclusive and negative results by oral swab. I went to my doctor next day to get blood test which came out negative. My doctor asked me to get another test after 3 months to make sure.

Is my test enough for my January encounter ? Should I get tested for my April massage after 3 months. Please advice.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you. The experience you had in April was not a risk for HIV. I would say that the test you had with the doctor was within the guidelines of testing and you do not need to be tested for your April encounter.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

endless testing
If some people take up to 6 months how can you be so sure about 3?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint