The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does my exposure warrant a test?

May 28, 2012

I am a married male and last year, I had an encounter with another man, I gave him oral sex using a condom. I know that this make for a virtually nil risk, but I had a couple of complicating factors. One, is that the condom kept riding up and I kept having to push it back down. As a result, I am not sure if I was exposed to his semen when he ejaculated (from the bottom of the condom). Two, I tend to chew my tongue, this does not result in broken skin, but does create irritation of the taste buds. I am not sure if this would increase my risk if the condom had leaked.

I did not experience any specific ARS related symptoms at the 3 week mark, but did have laryngitis at the 6 week mark. I am now super cognizant of every lymph node in my body and struggling to get the nerve to get tested.

Would you recommend testing for my situation?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi We know that oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission then throwing a condom into the picture the chances reduce that much more. If this was your only exposure then I would feel comfortable telling you that you are fine. Of course the only way to truly know this is to be tested and if you wish to do this, the guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

All in one Stripper Question
my is 63 yrs old just diagnosed

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint