Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
   
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
          
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Conclusive or not?
May 26, 2012

Shannon please help me,

I asked my teen clinic doctor, regular doctor, and Infectious Disease doctor about the window period. They all said 6 months.

I tested negative at 4 months, and you said that was enough. I know the CDC says that 97 percent test conclusively at 3 months, but what about the other 3 percent? Are you sure my test is conclusive?

Some of you guys say that the 3 percent are people that have abused drugs, been treated for cancer, or have a Hepatitis Co-Infection.

I'm really confused. Can you ask around to see what they know? Thank you very very much.

Response from Ms. Southall

HI The guidelines clearly state that initial testing should happen at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you.

The sensitivity of testing has gotten increasingly better, which is why we can say 3 months now.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon



Previous
Are Tests Conclusive?
Next
HIV from fish spa

  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS


 
Advertisement



Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint

Advertisement