"Heterosexual man has one off Homosexual experience"

Hi Dr, thebody.com is an excellent site, thank you for the information on here. Perhaps you could kindly answer my question, it would be very much appreciated as i have worked myself up into a frenzy.

6 years ago i had anal sex (receptive) and gave oral to another man. There was no ejaculation but i don't know if there was any pre-cum. I don't know if he had ever had sex with another man before. I have never repeated this act and have not experienced any of the symptoms i have read about. i was young and stupid but never for one second considered the risk of infection. I put this down to sexual experience and continued with my heterosexual lifestyle. i now have a fiancee and we have regular unprotected sex (without internal ejaculation). It is only recently that i started to worry that i might have been infected 6 years ago and i just don't know about it. She has never been ill or had symptoms of infection either and we have been together pretty much the last 6 years.

I understand the only way to be sure is to be tested, but does it sound like I am worrying unnecessarily? Should i/we not have noticed something wrong with me/us by now?

She has had routine smear tests carried out as recommended nationally in the UK. She has no idea of my experience with a man and i want it to stay that way. Im thinking if i hadve become infected 6 years ago by a chance one off experience, surely i would have infected her? Would her smear tests not also have shown something up?

I cant wait to marry her in a few months, she is the love of my life but the worry of 6 years ago seems to haunt my every thought right now. Your response would be very much appreciated. Thank you. R

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

The key question here is if you had protected anal sex, which when the condom is used correctly posed no risk for HIV. Oral sex itself poses very little risk for HIV.

Another thing to think about are other STDs... which can have no symptoms for a long time in many cases.

I can respect that you want to keep part of your history in the past. It sounds like the most straightforward way to get your answer on your status is simply to get tested (for a full run of STDs). If you've been tested in the past that's great! Just make sure that you waited enough time after the last time you had sex with the last person before your current partner.

Remember that while HIV/STD tests can happen during pap smears, they don't always happen..

Hope all this information helps!

Erik

"Bottlecap cuts"
"Is sleeping all day a sign of HIV?"