Blood getting under "Nail bed"

I am a student nurse from the united kingdom. Whilst undertaking a blood glucose test on a patient ( which involved a finger prick test), some of his blood smudged and my finger pad came into contact with it. I am sure it wasn't a great quantity of blood. I'm just concerned as round the other side of my finger, under the nail, I had a small tear. It was approximately 1-2 days old and not bleeding itself. Hope you might provide some peace of mind.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from the situation you're talking about. For HIV to spread, there needs to be HIV+ body fluid coming out of someone's body and going immediately/directly inside yours.

While there's patient blood around, there wasn't a sufficient way for it to get into your body. An old small tear under your nail is not a way for HIV to get into your body. It's worlds away from a major cut!

Additionally, if there's a situation where you come in contact with patient's body fluids there should be a protocol in place for you to follow. If you're not sure, please ask your supervisor!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Vaginal fluids on penis then oral sex "please answer me, many thanks"
"Oral sex with condom" left on afterward