"Are my results conclusive or not? Doctors please help me!"

Hi Doctors,

My teen clinic doctor, personal doctor, and the Infection Disease person at Kaiser told me that although my 16 week negative result was promising, I still needed to go back at 6 months to be sure.

I made a huge mistake and I know I'll reget it forever. I don't know who to trust right now, because the CDC days only 97% of people test positive at 3 months. And you guys here say that 3 months is conclusive, as well as other HIV related sites.

Can anyone offer any explanation or comfort?

thank you so much..

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

We generally say you're good at 3 months. But I get it, it can be hard when you get different information from resources that you trust. The good part here is that these recommendations all come from the same stats! You're absolutely right about the 97%. The remaining 3% chance is very small. This is why we say 3 months. Tests are just that good.

You could most certainly get tested after that (which you did), but the chances get even smaller that the test is wrong.

It might help to go back to your original risk to see what your chances of getting infected were. When you mix that likelihood with the likelihood of your test being conclusive that might give you some emotional relief.

Hope this helps!

Erik

"Further Testing?"
"Is anything safe" Massage on scratched leg