Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014
   
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
           
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


"Are my results conclusive or not? Doctors please help me!"
May 22, 2012

Hi Doctors,

My teen clinic doctor, personal doctor, and the Infection Disease person at Kaiser told me that although my 16 week negative result was promising, I still needed to go back at 6 months to be sure.

I made a huge mistake and I know I'll reget it forever. I don't know who to trust right now, because the CDC days only 97% of people test positive at 3 months. And you guys here say that 3 months is conclusive, as well as other HIV related sites.

Can anyone offer any explanation or comfort?

thank you so much..

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

We generally say you're good at 3 months. But I get it, it can be hard when you get different information from resources that you trust. The good part here is that these recommendations all come from the same stats! You're absolutely right about the 97%. The remaining 3% chance is very small. This is why we say 3 months. Tests are just that good.

You could most certainly get tested after that (which you did), but the chances get even smaller that the test is wrong.

It might help to go back to your original risk to see what your chances of getting infected were. When you mix that likelihood with the likelihood of your test being conclusive that might give you some emotional relief.

Hope this helps!

Erik



Previous
"Further Testing?"
Next
"Is anything safe" Massage on scratched leg

  
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS


 
Advertisement



Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint

Advertisement