Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Infection from Dirty Toilet"
May 19, 2012

This may sound really ridiculous, but I am a bit of a hypochondriac so please bear with me. I was using the bathroom at my work building to defecate and I do always make sure to flush before using any public toilet. However, I noticed that after I had finished, there were what appeared to be small specks of feces stuck to the interior of the toilet.

I am worried because while I was relieving myself, I got some splash-back onto my anus and I have an almost permanent anal fissure. I am concerned not only about potential HIV infection, but any other kind of disease infection as well that may result from the splash onto my anal fissure. Who knows to whom those speckles of feces belong to. Am I being over the top with this concern?

Please let me know, thank you!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You did not get HIV from this situation. As we say on the forum, HIV is not an easy virus to get. HIV+ body fluid needs to leave someone's body and go directly/immediately into your body. Your situation satisfies NONE of that that equation.

It's great that you recognize your hypochondria. When you're triggered by something I'm sure that's difficult. If you're not already working with a professional to address this, I would definitely recommend it. Getting your questions answered in a forum like this can provide short-term relief.. but therapy and the skills that come along with it will give you relief for the long-term!

Hope this helps,

Erik

Previous
One Time Thing; Help?
Next
"really really really worried"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.