Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could it be possible I was infected almost three years ago from a kiss?
May 17, 2012

Hi forum experts,

In a drunken stupor close to three years ago, I french kissed a highly promiscuous homosexual male thirty minutes after brushing my teeth -- I was trying to negate the smell of alcohol on my breath. The kiss lasted for a few minutes.

Out of fear, I had a rapid test done about 4 weeks after that kiss -- I know the risk from french kissing is virtually nonexistent, yet I was alarmed due to the fact I had just brushed my teeth.

The results from that test were negative.

Over the past year or so, my health has been declining -- I suffered from a bout of epididymitis a few months ago and am now plagued with a yeast infection in my throat.

My doctor believes the yeast infection might be a result of being on antibiotics for an extended period of time, albeit that was many months ago -- things just aren't adding up time-wise.

Is there any remote possibility I was infected with HIV from that kiss almost three years ago?

I pretty much live the life of a monk and have had no other risks.

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. Period. HIV cannot be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging, holding, kissing, sharing drinks or food with, or living in the same home or working in the same office with someone who has HIV. This includes french kissing post high amounts of alcohol consumption. While I can't explain why you have been feeling poorly, I am confident it is not related to HIV. Take care and try to have a little fun....

LHW

Previous
Positive Determine HIV1-2 test
Next
Lesbian Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.