The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This is a follow up for one of my last questions! Please answer!

May 10, 2012

Hello again Shannon!

Hahahahah. It seems like I have a lot of questions. This one is a response to one of the previous ones I asked. You stated that an occupational exposure requires a high volume of blood with regards to a blood splash in the face, eyes, mouth, etc to be more or less infectious. What I want to know is what is consider a large volume of blood? A Cup? Several Drops?

I know that for infection to occur it has to be an immediate exchange so several minutes out in the air without the blood having touched you would render this a negligable risk.

Thanks once again, Heath

PS: I hope I'm not being a pest with these questions. You've been very helpful and I'm very curious because from what I've seen since Occupational Exposures are so rare it seems as though there is less information on them.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You are correct there isn't a lot out there because occupational exposure, though it does and has happened, it's very rare. Large volume of blood....this depends on the person who is bleeding, of course do they have HIV, if they do what is their viral load. You need to know this in order to know what the risk is and how much blood you need to have present in order for the possibility of HIV transmission to occur. If the viral load is high less volume is needed if the viral load is low then more volume is needed.

Hope this helps,


One night stand

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint