This is a follow up for one of my last questions! Please answer!

Hello again Shannon!

Hahahahah. It seems like I have a lot of questions. This one is a response to one of the previous ones I asked. You stated that an occupational exposure requires a high volume of blood with regards to a blood splash in the face, eyes, mouth, etc to be more or less infectious. What I want to know is what is consider a large volume of blood? A Cup? Several Drops?

I know that for infection to occur it has to be an immediate exchange so several minutes out in the air without the blood having touched you would render this a negligable risk.

Thanks once again, Heath

PS: I hope I'm not being a pest with these questions. You've been very helpful and I'm very curious because from what I've seen since Occupational Exposures are so rare it seems as though there is less information on them.

Hi You are correct there isn't a lot out there because occupational exposure, though it does and has happened, it's very rare. Large volume of blood....this depends on the person who is bleeding, of course do they have HIV, if they do what is their viral load. You need to know this in order to know what the risk is and how much blood you need to have present in order for the possibility of HIV transmission to occur. If the viral load is high less volume is needed if the viral load is low then more volume is needed.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

risk?
One night stand