I had sex with an HIV Positive person

Hello. I was the bottom in with an HIV positive top. The condom broke while we were having sex. I felt it broke and we immediately stopped. It broke during the initial penetration so there was no ejaculation. I am still very concerned. I was not aware of PEP and this occurred over 72 hours ago. I am very nervous.

Given the story, I think it is very low risk of infection. Post exposure prophylaxis (taking HIV meds after an exposure) works best if started as soon as possible. The 72 hour window is made up from animal data.

At this point I see no benefit of PEP. You should get HIV tested now (preferably with a combo test using antibody and p24 antigen) and again in 4 to 6 weeks. Also, getting tested for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia would be smart.

re: fresh wound risk
Sick for ever and ever