Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Had protected sex and I finished in the condom
May 5, 2012

So last week I had protected oral and vaginal sex using the same condom with a person I've known for 3 weeks but still felt like a casual encounter. I had oral sex for about 10 seconds and then intercourse for about 1-2 mins. When I finished, the semen was in the condom and when I took the condom off, I held it upside down(so the tip is facing down) to see if the semen would drip(to see if the condom had a hole) and it didn't. Did the condom work properly? Chances of getting HIV? It's been less than a week since possible exposure so the symptoms I have now are most likely from anxiety(like loss of breath and faster heart beat).

Do you think I had a chance of being infected? Should I take a PCR RNA test to see if the virus is in my blood?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You had protected sex, the condom was fine, the chances of getting HIV this way are very very small, because you did everything right.

Of course to know for sure, yes being tested is the only to know for sure.

You are at the point where we would recommend receiving your first test, which is 3 weeks then again in 3 months.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Describe your first time experience
Next
Disclosure !!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.