Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3 year old son came in contact with blood in public bathroom. Very worried mommy!! Please answer!!
May 2, 2012

My son and I went into a public bathroom and he went over and started using the toilet in the time it took me to set my purse down. He was standing up. When I got there I noticed a smear of menstrual blood on the toilet. I am not certain it was dry or still wet or that he even touched it at all. He knows not to lay his hands or private down on the seat but to just aim. Because he started using the toilet before I got over there I can not be sure that he did not touch it or lay something down...he is only 3 years old. Would this be a possible means of transmission? I am not sure how long the blood was there as the bathroom was empty when we went in and I did not see who was in there before. How long max would it take for the virus to die? I know this depends on many factors. I keep hearing "minutes" but is that 1 minute or 10? This was not at all a drop or pool of blood but just a smear. Like she had period blood on her legs or pad and it slid against the toilet and smeared. Do not think it would take that long to dry as it was not what I would consider a large pool liquid that would take long to dry. I am very worried for him and am pregnant now and do not think that the amount I am worrying about this is healthy for me. Please help!! Should I get him tested at all?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The minutes are 1-2, HIV is very fragile and dies once outside the body. Your son would have had to injure himself on the way to toilet, meaning creating an open wound on his body that would then come into contact with the blood. Being a 3 year old, if he were to inure himself this way you would know.

So the likelihood of transmission I feel comfortable saying is non existent and you both are fine!

be well and stay safe Shannon

Previous
HIV
Next
please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.