Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do I still have aids?
May 2, 2012

I was diagnosed in August 2006 wit a CD4 count of 12 and a viral load in the millions. My latest CD4 count is 703 with an undetectable viral load. Do I still have Aids or am I now just HIV+?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi This is a great question. Thankfully you have been able to get your immune system healthy again. I was in the same position though mine were only 131 but once on meds it is back up over 200 and so what my doctor and I have talked about that is on my chart it will always say HIV/AIDS as a reminder that my immune system was once very compromised. With that being said, AIDS is the state that your body reaches when your cd4 count is below 200. With them above 200 now you are out of that state and your immune system is healthy.

Hope this helps, Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Are the 3 percent people with bad immune systems?
Next
hiv and trying for a baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.