Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Possible HIV exposure" from first gay experience..?
Apr 30, 2012

Hi and just wanted to say thank you very much for your input. So exactly 8 days ago I had my first homosexual encounter. I performed oral sex on another man. I was extremely careful in everything I did. I made sure he wore a condom during the whole oral encounter therefore my mouth never made direct contact with his penis. I then removed the condom and finished things with a hand job(sorry for the explicit nature of the post). I made sure that none of his semen came in contact with my hand...he ejaculated on his shirt. So 5 days later while i was eating a had a sudden sharp pain on the left side of my neck right under my jaw line and the next day that area of my neck appeared to be slightly swollen in comparison with the other side so i'm assuming that it was my lymph node that was swollen. Later that day the apparent slight swelling was completely gone but I've had a small slight discomfort on the left side of my neck whenever I swallow. Im wondering if their is any risk i could have contracted HIV from performing oral sex while he was wearing a condom and then performing a handjob with no condom on? I have no idea what his health situation is. Like i said my mouth never came in direct contact with his penis and my hand did not come in contact with his semen when he ejaculated but it is possible that his precum did come in contact with my hand while i was performing the hand stimulation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's no risk of HIV from the sex you describe. The condom kept your mouth from getting any semen in it. Also, oral sex is considered to be very low risk even when unprotected.

I can imagine if this was your first time having sex with another man though, that you may have a lot of questions about risk, etc. That's perfectly normal. Feel free to browse our forum archives for information on Safer Sex Techniques for more information! It can help also to talk with other men who have sex with men to get an idea of the in's and out's of male-to-male sexuality.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
"full penetration needed for hiv risk?"
Next
Symptoms Of HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.