Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"full penetration needed for hiv risk?"
Apr 30, 2012

Dear doc, I had an experience yesterday and would like your advice. I engaged in gay penetrative sex (protected so no issues there) but before penetration we had intense licking, fingering and rubbing activities. During these activities he also pushed his dick head against my anus which was still wet from previous activities. The penis didn't enter and as soon as I felt it was slipping in we switched to protected anal intercourse.

Now I have the following questions. Whilst I know there's a risk for STD's generally - has there been a risk for HIV transmission. I know that rubbing is considered safe but as the anus was already wet and widened is this an increased risk? Does full penetration needs to occur before the transmission risk is seriously present? And whilst we immediately switched to fucking with condom the fact that I felt it slipping in does that mean a real exposure risk?

Thanks for your response.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Not only would you need full on penetration, you would also need it to last for awhile.

HIV isn't really an easy virus to get or to give. We need there to be actual anal sex, not almost anal sex or kinda anal sex. This is one of those situations where it's ok to push a yes or no question: Were you the bottom in unprotected anal sex? No.

You're definitely right about STDs though, it's good to keep them in mind since there are some that are transmitted without penetration.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
"HIV risk at swinger club"
Next
"Possible HIV exposure" from first gay experience..?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.