"full penetration needed for hiv risk?"

Dear doc, I had an experience yesterday and would like your advice. I engaged in gay penetrative sex (protected so no issues there) but before penetration we had intense licking, fingering and rubbing activities. During these activities he also pushed his dick head against my anus which was still wet from previous activities. The penis didn't enter and as soon as I felt it was slipping in we switched to protected anal intercourse.

Now I have the following questions. Whilst I know there's a risk for STD's generally - has there been a risk for HIV transmission. I know that rubbing is considered safe but as the anus was already wet and widened is this an increased risk? Does full penetration needs to occur before the transmission risk is seriously present? And whilst we immediately switched to fucking with condom the fact that I felt it slipping in does that mean a real exposure risk?

Thanks for your response.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Not only would you need full on penetration, you would also need it to last for awhile.

HIV isn't really an easy virus to get or to give. We need there to be actual anal sex, not almost anal sex or kinda anal sex. This is one of those situations where it's ok to push a yes or no question: Were you the bottom in unprotected anal sex? No.

You're definitely right about STDs though, it's good to keep them in mind since there are some that are transmitted without penetration.

Hope this helps!

Erik

"HIV risk at swinger club"
"Possible HIV exposure" from first gay experience..?