HIV with "Raw skin - needless worry?"

Thanks so much for the time you take answering these questions. Provides a lot of comfort, and it's good to get objective views rather than our emotional ones.

I am happily married with kids, but gave in to some temptation - got a lap dance at a strip club. Now I believe that itself is no risk, as my pants stayed on (yipee!).

My worry is that the girl touched her vagina a little and then held my hands. On my thumb there was a small patch of raw skin - it was about 1.5 days old and had bled a little at the time but was not bleeding at all at the strip club or that day. Basically the top layer of skin had just come off when the thumb was opening a door. There was no obvious vaginal fluids etc on her hands but I guess there could be residue. Should I be concerned? Is there any risk?

Would really appreciate your response, and keep up the good work.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from any of the situation you describe. None. HIV can only enter your body through a fresh opening on your body. This can include the stable openings like the mouth, vagina, or butt. This can also include an opening in the skin that can come from an occupational hazard or a needle (which is designed to penetrate the skin).

It's important to keep in mind that HIV is not an easy virus to get, it only happens under specific circumstances, none of which are satisfied by an old healed up cut on your thumb. Just to push the point home, your old cut wasn't bleeding (if it still were after a couple days, that'd be its own issue..). Wasn't bleeding and wasn't fresh so wasn't at all open.

Hope this helps!

Erik

grapefruit and atripla
Risk from wipe on penis "Need to know!"