The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help im petrified. does my 6 week hiv test become invalid...

Apr 29, 2012

Hi thank you so much for your help. I'm worried because on January 2nd this year I slept with a guy who had been with many women, and had just got back from Thailand where he had unprotected sex with a sex worker. I didn't use protection. Maybe I should mention I'm 21 and female. Well we continued to have sex until about 7 weeks ago, but also did unprotected anal. I got tested in February, 6 weeks after our first encounter, and was hiv negative. It was a blood test. However I'm worried I might have contacted hiv after the first time, meaning my first test would be invalid. My symptoms are aches all over my body for a week (just last week) a sore throat which lasted 1 day, a tiny mouth ulcer which went in a day, and insect bite style rashes on my bum which I got a few days after our first sex, and lasted for a month. I have also noticed one or two pinks dots on my stomach and had itchy palms, but I should note I'm very paranoid. However I feel fine apart from being anxious. I guess my question is, what are the chances I have hiv, and does this sound like hiv? Thank you so much and sorry this is so long

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for testing are to be initially tested at 3 week post the last exposure then again at 3 months. From what you have described you need to get another test to ensure your status.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

worried please help
Could I have aids?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint