Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

chances of false positive hiv result?
Apr 29, 2012

Hi there,

A couple of days ago I had a hiv test which I believe it was Elisa testing. Unfortunately, the first test came up positive. They had done the second test and it became negative, followed by the third test was also negative. The doctor was not very helpful and did not help to make me feel better in anyway. He only said the result is inconclusive and another test will be conducted in order to confirm the result (PCR) but will have to wait three days to get a result. I am currently living in hell thinking there is a chance I have HIV in my body. I really hope someone can give me the better information what are my chances of being infected. Let me tell you a bit more of my condition. I have been in relationship with my bf for one year and two months and he tested negative. We never once did un-protected sex However, 3 years ago I sometimes did not use protection with my ex boyfriend and I'm nt sure if he ever tested. 3 days before I had my test, I had my tooth removed and I did take some medical to help me with the pain. Also during the week I have had not severe sore throat. What are the chance that my first test could be false positive? Please help me with the inquiry, this might put me at ease for a little. Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi With your second and third test being negative, the first test was a false positive. I know waiting for the RNA test is hard, but I really believe it will be negative as the following 2 test were negative.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Strip club scare
Next
hiv scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.