Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gray line in HIV Test Kit
Apr 28, 2012

I was tested yesterday at a social hygiene clinic. I was in the room when the medtech did the tests. She used like 4 strips but she said that the reagent was not working properly. After she changed the reagent, here's what happened:

1) Strip 1 - bold red line in Control; no line in 2; faint gray line in 1 2) Strip 2 - same as strip 1; maybe more faint gray line

She allowed me to see the kit and she mentioned that it was her first time to see such result. According to her, from what she knew, positive tests should also show a bold red line in 1.

I requested her then to repeat the tests. She brought a new strip, took a blood sample, and put the reagent. This time, I could see while she was doing it. It was the most terrifying wait in my entire life. The result:

3) Strip 3 - bold red line in Control; no line in 1 and 2.

So because of that, my result was NON-REACTIVE.

But of course, the anxiety and the stress still kicked in! My last contact was exactly 11 days ago, and I considered it to be of low risk. The next encounter would be like 3 mos ago... In my most recent exposure, no anal penetration happened, although I remember that my partner was grinding the tip of his penis in my "hole." But no penetration happened. Only oral sex (unprotexted)... Then he ejaculated on my stomach. But I just wiped them off (and made sure nothing goes anywhere, hopefully).

If my test was truly negative at that time, what could have caused the gray line. Is it a common occurrence? I know I should get tested again in the next weeks but the wait is truly unbearable.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The sexual experience you described does not carry a risk. The testing question, yes it can sometimes happen that a test is not run correctly and that was the lines mean to show if it has been run correctly or not. So having the repeated test was smart and showed the correct result.

The standard is to receive the first test at 3 weeks and then again at 3 months.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
What are my chances I have HIV?
Next
Please help, SO much anxiety, PLEASE help...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.