HIV Fear after 12 year- Married with 3&1/2 year old kid

Hi Doc,

I am in deep fear & concerned about HIV. I had one time protected sex (with condom) with HIV + female approx. 12 years ago. After 2-3 days of encounter i got few red rashes on & around my neck & shoulder area (7-8 in numbers). I was worried at that time but later on continued with my life thinking that i had protected sex, so i am safe. Just to mention, i had mouth to mouth kiss as well & i have had 1 broken tooth in mouth which bleeds at times, but was not bleeding that particular day. Now after around 12 year, i have started getting some symptoms which again makes me worried about HIV. The symptoms include, recurring fungal infections in penis only from 5-6 years(i am not diabetic and thyroid function is normal), low back pain,hip muscle loss(though i dont see much change in my weight, 5'11 inch, 183 lbs for last 5-6 years), burning in feet & cold sensitivity in hands & arm(peripheral neuropathy), frequent bronchitis (every 2-3 months). lightheadedness etc. During this time i never got tested directly for HIV but has done blood donation & got blood test done for my jobs 2 times (never heard back anything wrong). I also have a 3&1/2 year old son, who is healthy & my wife also got tested for HIV both at time of conceiving & then before delivery of our baby. I only had unprotected with my wife for few months before trying to conceive because i was getting fungal infection on my organ after having unprotected sex with my wife. My question is, do i still need to worry about HIV for my symptoms or should i focus on other possible causes.If i had HIV, would it have shown in my wife's test before delivery. My wife & son are both healthy & i am scared & worried for them as well as for myself.

Appologies for long queries, sincere thanks in advance for your kind response.

Hi The protected sex you had protected you from HIV transmission. Knowing your wife and son are HIV negative is good, but you could still be infected and just by chance your wife and son were not. I'm not saying that you are HIV infected, but obviously something is going on with the symptoms that you have described. The good news is with giving blood they run HIV test on the donated blood and would notify you to follow up with your physician if they noticed anything.

I would continue follow up with your health care provider for the continued symptoms you are having. One thing you could ask for is a sexually transmitted infection screening which would include HIV.

I hope this helps, be well and stay safe, Shannon

Fear
very scared for weeks - different test results are killing me