Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hetero anal/vaginal sex, without ejaculation, unknown HIV status
Apr 28, 2012

I engaged in anal & vaginal sex w a new partner. We used condoms for both acts of sex off & on during each encounter. We started to have anal/vag sex & I stopped him to put on a condom. There was times he wasnt wearing one, but only ejaculated while wearing one. We did this on two occassions, 3 Weeks ago. He is hetero, no hx of inj drug use, not sleeping w multiple partners. I test annually for HIV/std and tested neg for all in October. Im now terrified that based on our lack of consistently using condoms from beginning to end, I may be exposed to HIV! Risk associated with minimal encounters of hetero anal/vag sex wo ejaculation into HIV/std neg receptive partner? I went to my ob today for a std test and found out I have a yeast infection, which makes me even more terrified. Its been 3 Weeks and I'm anxiously awaiting 1-3 more Weeks to test.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You definitely put yourself at risk by not consistently using condoms and being unaware of your partners status. Even though not all the time were there episodes of ejaculation there are fluids, precum for example that may be present. Being the receptive partner also increases your risk. I would highly recommend that you receive HIV testing. The standards are to be initially tested at 3 weeks after exposure and then again at 3 months. Many people will have detectable antibodies in three or four weeks and the 3 month test statistics show that 97% of the population will test negative or positive The three month window period is normal for most of the population. Very, very rarely (i.e., only a few cases ever), a person could take six months to produce antibodies.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Thrush and other symptoms
Next
HIV CONTAGIOUS ON TONGUE?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.