Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dead Scared
Apr 28, 2012

I had sex with an older woman last Friday. There was no condom involved for the oral sex, but used a condom for the rest.I think she was having a period or something as there was some blood involved

I am almost paranoid now. A few days later I started developing a small fever along with some muscle pain and a sore throat. I went online and found some articles that pointed at this being a primary HIV infection. I called up the woman and she claimed she was clean but didnt say when she was last tested. I am dead scared....i wont survive 3 months with this stress Please help me

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission and using a condom for vaginal sex even with her on her period offers the protection for HIV transmission.

Symptoms for HIV don't start as suddenly as you have described, I believe you may have been just getting a cold or another viral infection. The standard for HIV testing is to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
STD from giving a handjob?
Next
Immediate presence of symptoms?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.