"How soon is HIV contagious?" Possibility of passing HIV to baby through casual contact?

Dear Doctors When you are exposed to HIV, how long does it take to became contagious? Is it immediately? About an hour after a violence where the aggressor even stung me with a syringe, I kissed my baby on the mouth without thinking about it because I was on shock. I had an injury in my mouth, it was small but it could have been bleeding... Could this have been risky for my baby? The next days I think it wasn't bleeding so it wasn't risky if I shared food with him, right? Thanks for your work and for your answers.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It's hard to answer when exactly someone would become contagious. But in the situation you're describing I'm more curious about your risk and how you wouldn't be able to pass it on casually. It's hard to know if you were at risk from the details you've provided, I'd follow up with a health professional in your area to talk about that part.

Let's say that you were though just for the sake of argument. Even if that were the case, your baby would not be at risk from you kissing it or sharing food later.

HIV is relatively a hard virus to get and give. It only happens in specific situations where HIV+ body fluid comes out of someone's body and goes immediately into another body. That's not going to happen from kissing a baby or sharing food.

Hope this helps!

Erik

"i had sex with hiv positive"
6 month testing