The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

If one test is negative, will the other also be negative?

Apr 26, 2012

If I test negative on a rapid blood test(the Determine HIV 1/2 ab test), what are the chances of also testing negative on a lab Elisa? I have to take an HIV test for my visa, but I'm scared since I had a repeatedly false positive ag/ab late last year in my home country(it was weakly reactive both times), which was then repeatedly negative by Western Blot(I have had no sexual encounters at all since February of last year). To conclude that test last year, they did a quantitative RNA and the result was less than 20 copies, negative. I can take an anonymous rapid test here, but to process the visa it needs to be a lab test. I'm terrified of being deported and banned forever from ever coming back here. I'm thinking of taking the rapid test first, and if that is negative, then taking the lab test for my visa. Would it be reasonable to assume that if the rapid antibody test is negative, then the lab antibody test should give the same result?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The standards for testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks and then again at 3 months, where 97% of the population will test negative or positive you can then again be tested at 6 months which would then be 100%. Yes if the rapid test is negative then your lab antibody test will be negative as well both are very accurate.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

hiv transmission
When is it the best time to take a test?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint