Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/STD from Pelvic Exam (new mother)
Apr 21, 2012

Hi,

Yesterday I had my 6 week postpartum examination in which the midwife performed a pap smear and pelvic exam. After the pap smear, I noticed that she used her gloved fingers to open the lid to the disposal container for the speculum. She then performed the pelvic exam (with 2 fingers inside my vagina) without getting new sterile gloves. I later became worried that HIV, Hep-B or an STD could have been lurking on the outside of the disposal container, which was transferred to her gloved finger and into my vagina. I have a 6 week old infant and am breastfeeding. Should I be worried about possible transmission to me or to my baby through my breastmilk?

Thank you so much in advance for your answer-- i have been a very worried mom for the past 24 hours.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi It is highly unlikely that any type of infection occurred. If there were to and fluid containing HIV on the lid it dies within minutes of leaving the body.

There have been documentation of HIV transmission happening in the way you have described. And for future peace of mind, I would ask the healthcare professional to change gloves in between touching you if they are touching other items. But again it is highly unlikely that you contracted any type of infection.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Undectable
Next
handjob worried help please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.