Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Donated blood now paranoid of being HIV positive
Apr 18, 2012

Twenty days ago I donated blood at a Red Cross blood drive and in the past week I have become so afraid that I am HIV positive. Approximately two months ago I had unprotected sex with my then boyfriend. He said he didn't have HIV but I'm still afraid. I googled the early symptoms for HIV and in the past couple of days I have developed a small rash in the palm of my hand, dry skin on my knees, knee joint pain, and back pain. I have also had a loss of appetite but no weight loss. I was wondering if my stress over this issue could be making symptoms manifest? If I were HIV positive would the Red Cross have notified me by now? I know I should just get tested but I'm really afraid and if the results were positive I don't think I could handle that. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, Yes the Red Cross would have notified you by now, as they test all blood that is donated. Stress and anxiety can cause all types of different symptoms.

If you want to be completely sure getting tested is your best bet. Knowing your status is important and with the information and the medications that we have available now if you are positive you can live a long and happy life. I just honored my 20th year of when I was diagnosed and am feeling great.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Picked my nose after touching semen
Next
HIV PCR NEGATIVE & ELISA METHOD POSITIVE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.