BITTEN BY AN HIV INFECTED PERSON

I am absolutely nervous! My assistent is HIV positive, by mistake he bit my finger and it bleed. I am taking Truvada and Efavirenz as prophilaxis but I just want to know if there is any risk of getting HIV...He says he has no injuries in his mouth but I can not sleep now I am feeling throat ache... I just can not live my life any more, please give me an answer.

Hi You are on the right course of treatment to prevent HIV transmission and getting HIV from a bite carries a very small risk. Especially less so if he is on medication and his viral load is undetectable. HIV is not present in saliva, so he would have had to have active bleeding in his mouth for there to be a chance of HIV transmission to occur. Stress and anxiety can lead to symptoms and your inability to sleep. The medications you are on can also cause side effects that are unpleasant as you go through what we call PEP post exposure prophylaxis.

Is HIV transmission possible in this situation, yes, is it probable NO! I believe you can rest assured that you will be find from this unfortunate incident.

Be well, Shannon

Contact with sex worker
MY WIFE IS PREGNANT PLEASE HELP!!!!!