Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Needle prick at an accupuncturist office
Apr 18, 2012

Hi,

yesterday I went to see an accupuncturist he was from Korea and spoke very little english. I noticed him holding a bunch of needles in his hands and placing them where needed he seemed skilled. They all came out of closed bags, however he put some of the unused ones that he held in his hand back in the bags possibly for later, I just thought hmm thats kind of unclean, but oh well. later he was putting something like a pen on my middle finger and when he pressed on it a needle would come out to prick me on each middle finger which made me bleed some he extracted some of my blood from my finger in a cotton. It all went fast and I did not really understand beforehand what he planed, he wanted to test something. He is practicing traditional medicine and so I was not too concerned at that time. Hoever later when I was home, I became rather worried about that needle prick in my fingeres and how it was from that weired pen device, which I am rather unsure how sanitary it can be and how many have been pricked with that I did not see him washing it or needled coming out and replace or anything. I am not certain how much a risk factor it may be contracting any disease not just HIV from that single prick, the idea is pretty frightening. I am sure he sees a few sick people in his office all throughout the day and I do question his level of hygene now. Not sure if I call him up and ask him, if I get answer or if he even understands me so I am asking you, do I have reason do worry here?? I am usually not paranoid and it is not something that I immagined it happed the way I explained. I am simply concerned and unsure about if a prick lick that with this needle device (possibly unclean) can cause serious harm or contract disease ??

Thanks you in advance

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi If for some reason this needle was used on someone prior to you and was not cleaned, the good news is that HIV dies within minutes of leaving the body and so that would not pose a danger of infection. Hepatitis C does survive longer. So I do believe it is worth a phone call asking how he sterilizes equipment after procedures. Most acupuncturist and Eastern Medicine practices ensure that they are not causing more harm but there are always those who forget or short cut cleaning instruments we talk about this with getting tattoos and piercings. I would recommend follow up with him.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
will i be at risk if i have sex with my wife! please answer, fifth try!
Next
stress? yeast infection? mono? bacterial infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.