will i be at risk if i have sex with my wife! please answer, fifth try!

Back in Early December of 2011, my wife had a superficial needle stick injury at work, while drawing blood from a positive white male. She was put on a 30 day course of three pep medications. ( truvada, presita, and norvair). She completed the 30 day course with 100% adhearance. All of her baseline testing was negative for hiv, and hep C. The source patient was also negative for Hep C. She has now had the following tests: baseline was negative, 16 days on pep medication she had a negative HIV RNA by PCR, at 16 days off pep medication- another negative HIV RNA by PCR. Six weeks from exposure- Negative HIV antibody. At 13 weeks post exposure another negative HIV antibody. The infectious Disease DR told us that her chance for infection is very small now, and that we should feel comfortable having unportected sex now. However, My wife still refuses to have any sexual contact with me until she has a six month HIV antibody test. From all the tests she has had, is there a chance that she could turn up positive afterall? before this happened we were trying to conceive another child, and that has all been put on hold now. My wife has spirled into depression and anxiety and feels like this test at 6 months will be positive. Ive seen a lot of information stating that occupational guidlines are old and are being revised to reflect that sensitivy of the newer hiv tests. So i guess im asking what the likely hood of her turning up positive would be? one in a thousand? one in a million? please advise! Thank you so much for all your kind help. Also i want to add that the viral load of the source patient was one hundred and fourty copies, and she was using a needle size 23 gauge butterfly. thanks again.

HI The RNA test your wife had that showed no virus would indicate that she is HIV free. I would support your wife through waiting the 6 month if this gives her peace of mind. The standards for testing now are at 3 months the test is accurate and 6 months if there is a known exposure. But having the RNA test is conclusive for whether or not she is infected or not. Having that test show that she is negative should be reassuring for her.

Hope this helps, be well and stay safe, Shannon

HIV from blood on toilet seat
Needle prick at an accupuncturist office