The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doc, please help , i am freaked out.

Apr 16, 2012

How early in HIV infection does diffuse infiltrative lymphocytosis syndrome ( persistent dry eyes and dry mouth,painful peripheral neuropathy) could possibly occur? with history of 3 months lowgrade fever which subsides on it's own and history of urticaria.could DILS possibly appear in after 6 months of infection? Can the enlargement of parotid gland be observed by naked eyes? does ARS manifest as lowgrade fever for 3 months then followed by urticaria after fever subsides then followed by dry mouth and eyes and neuropathy after?

i have no diabetes . . i am 27 male

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- DILS is a relatively uncommon sydrome. Patients with DILS generally present in an early HIV stage, have higher CD4+ cell counts (commonly above 200/μl. Enlargement of the parotid glands can certainly be visible to the naked eye if large enough. Typically the ARS syndrome resolves in a few weeks but rare cases of persistence at 3 months have been observed. I have not heard of a case of ARS presenting with fever for 3 months followed by urticaria. I would urge you to seek a medical professional (in person) to talk with if you are having these symptoms. They can recommend the appropriate tests for you. Take care, LHW

Mammary intercourse
me and my poz babydaddy: sperm washing, HIV and other STD's??

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint