Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low-hemoglobin vs HIV
Apr 14, 2012

Hi Shannon

I had sex with a woman I knew from somewhere and I kept it short. I kissed her, she gave me head and I put my penis in her vagina few times (halfway inside and the vaginal fluid didnt cover my penis completely) and then returned back to kissing. I didnt finish the job so later I rushed to bathroom and washed my penis. (FELT REALLY BAD).

I asked her later if she has HIV so she smiled and said 'I am not a dirty woman' (even though she had two men before in her life). However she mentioned that 15 years ago during pregnancy she was found with low-hemoglobin and during her menstrual periods she bleeds a lot.

Also I have read a lot of material on HIV related symptoms and Im completely devastated, saddened and worried anxiously. I cannot think straight since Saturday (day I had sex) and I dont know what to do. I have headaches, cannot eat straight, cant drink and cant sleep at night. Even I asked her for any HIV related symptoms if she ever had in the last 6 months since she broke up with her ex-boyfriend and she says NOT AT ALL with a loud laugh. Her health seems alright and she works 12 hours a day at beauty parlor. I want to know that if a woman who has low-hemoglobin and no history of HIV can potentially infect me with HIV. (She also said that she was tested for HIV 8 months ago and it came out negative)

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Low hemoglobin does not increase the chances of either getting or transmitting HIV. Also any woman who has unprotected sex with someone she doesn't know their status or they don't know their own, does not make a "dirty woman". I have been living with HIV, 20 years tomorrow, and have never considered myself a dirty woman. I had sex with my fiance' and he had HIV and gave it to me.

To answer your question, is HIV transmission likely, Yes, probable NO! Your best way to know is to get tested.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
NIV or OCD?!!!! HELP, PLEASE!
Next
please help please help.......

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.