"HIV2 and LUPUS"

I was diagnosed with Discoid Lupus 2 years ago while my partner has just been diagnosed with HIV2 yesterday. We've been together for 2 years doing unprotected sex. Had HIV test 2 months ago and turned out negative. Do I need to get myself retested? Am I at great risk living with my partner? I am trying to educate myself with HIV so that we could live as normal as before. Help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Both these diagnoses require that you and your partner receive regular and knowledgable medical care. That said.. there are a couple things for you to be aware of when it comes to the risk for HIV-2.

The risk is the same as HIV-1, so making sure that you and your partner discuss safe sex is important. We have a forum on Mixed-Status Couples and articles on Mixed-Status Couples.

If you develop lesions, that are irritated and inflamed, then it's important to make sure that your partner's infectious body fluids stay aware from those areas. These include blood, semen, pre-cum, and vaginal fluids.

Testing again for HIV-2 is only necessary if.. 1) you didn't get a test that includes HIV 1 AND 2; also 2) if you've been at risk from your partner (e.g. unprotected sex, blood-to-blood contact) recently within the last 3 months.

Hope this helps! There's a lot more to learn, so I'd encourage you to make sure you both continue having conversations with your doctors and ask as many questions as you need to.

Erik

Anxiety while no risk "I'm killing my self"
pubic hair in condom -risk os transmission