NGU exposure from oral sex - risk of HIV?

Hello experts,

First off, let me start by thanking you for the incredible service you provide to all those who are concerned about their status. The time you take to answer these questions is one of the kindest things you could do.

I have a question about an experience that occurred last week -- it's really got me anxious and worried, so anything you can do to help me understand the realistic risk for my situation would be very appreciated.

I am a male who received unprotected oral sex from a female sex worker last week, which included her deep throating me. At one point during the encounter, she was inserted her fingers into her vagina, and then stuck her fingers in my mouth. So in all, the total exposure was receiving oral sex (deep throat at one point) and then licking fingers which had been exposed to vaginal fluid.

A week later, I started to show symptoms consistent with NGU. I got tested and turns out I did get NGU from the encounter. I am not on antibiotics to take care of that infection, and things are feeling better in that regard.

I understand that the risk of HIV transmission (provided she had it) is higher because of the accompanying NGU. It's even more concerning that the NGU was obviously in her throat, and she was deep throating me. What does that do to my risk of HIV infection?

I know it takes valuable time out of your day to answer these questions. I've read all the archives and can't find the exact scenario I described above. If you could please help me undersand the risk, I would be forever grateful.

Non-gonococcal urethritis is most commonly cause by chlamydia and is much more transmittable than HIV. The risk of HIV from receiving a blow job is practically nil. If receiving oral sex transmitted HIV, we would have a lot more than 50,000 new infected with HIV in the US each year. Testing for HIV would serve mostly to make you less concerned. (I assume you are 'now' on treatment, rather than "not" on treatment for the NGU). DW

Understanding HIV Test Results
Anxiety while no risk "I'm killing my self"