Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible exposure to HIV and HHV8
Apr 12, 2012

Hello Dr Cordova,

I am worried I might have had sex with an HIV/AIDS infected guy. I noticed a skin lesion on his back (slightly raised color spot). It was just one single lump of skin, but it sure looked like a sarcoma. This sarcoma tells me the guy has developped full-blown Aids, which makes him less virulent than a freshly HIV-infected individual. I have no way of contacting the guy to ask him about his hiv status, it was a one time thing.

I am concerned about being infected with HHV8 because we deep kissed and he gave me oral sex without any protection. We used a condom for penetrative sex. BUT, we performed frottage and he rubbed his penis against my anus and my vulva for at least 15 minutes. It was a rather light contact, and never did he try penetrating me. However, I could feel there was some pre-ejaculate present.

I know, a lot of doctors say: you need penetrative sex to be performed to be infected because HIV virus cannot survive outside an host. Still, I've read somewhere on the internet, that a young gay man contracted HIV after engaging in frottage activities, in which he was the receiver. And the story was reported by his doctor... So, Dr Cordova, what do you think. Are they some chance I got HIV infected ? About HHV8, do you always get it if you kiss someone that is infected, or if your genitals are exposed to an infected person's saliva ?

Note: I am actually basing all my assumptions on his sarcoma. But can you develop a sarcoma without being infected by HHV8 ? The guy is spanish, I heard sarcoma was very common in mediterranean men. And you can have HHV8 without having HIV right ? If the guy only had HHV8 (or maybe no HHV8 at all) I would be less worried.

Thank you very much for you time doctor. I am grateful I am able to receive professional answers without having to pay. :)

Sarah

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, Sarah:

To answer your questions...

1. Is there a chance I was infected with HIV? No, I highly doubt it. Frottage is a low-risk, safer sex activity. I would not be concerned.

2. About HHV8, do you always get it if you kiss someone that is infected, or if your genitals are exposed to an infected person's saliva? No, not always. The mechanisms by which HHV8 is transmitted is not well known.

3. And you can have HHV8 without having HIV right? That is correct. Many people are infected with HHV8 and do not know it. A healthy immune system is able to keep the virus in check.

Have you considered that perhaps the mark on his back was just a birthmark? It's more likely that he had a birthmark than Kaposi's Sarcoma.

In health,

Richard

Previous
hiv symptoms and testing
Next
PCR test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.