What Do You Think of My Safer-Sex Strategy?

Hi there...I am a gay man and would like an honest assessment of my safer-sex strategy. I know the basics and have read all of the theoretical risk studies out there but it would help greatly to hear an honest opinion by an expert. My partners are often at sex clubs and are of indeterminate status.

Here goes:

1. Oral sex is frequent (giving and receiving) without condoms but never with ejaculation in the mouth (and I would stay away from lots of precum).

2. Anal sex is rare but, if it happens (either giving or receiving), is always protected (and usually ends before ejaculation).

3. I like rimming and being rimmed (no protection).

4. Other stuff (kissing, mutual j/o) happens frequently but I believe these carry no real risk.

Are my limits reasonable? Or am I crazy and reckless?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I think your limits are very reasonable.

We know that oral sex has been and remains a low-risk activity. Not letting your partners ejaculate in your mouth lowers the risk even more. Rimming is a fairly low-risk activity as well. Have you been vaccinated against Hepatitis A? Hepatitis A can be transmitted via oral-rectal contact. You can be vaccinated against both Hep A & B through a series of three shots given over the course of a year. Using a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex is one of the best ways to stop the spread of HIV.

Bottom line: Keep up the good work! Be sure to get a full STD screening at least once a year, and preferably every six months.

In health,

Richard

"worried for anal cancer"
Brief encounter - unprotected insertive anal