Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"worried for anal cancer"
Apr 12, 2012

hi i am positive for last two yrs, on meds, doing fine undetectable, cd around 600 i had anal warts, cz of receptive anal intercourse two yrs back, when i was diagonesd. i am always worried of more and more reports about people having anal cancer. my uestion is is there any means by which i can save myself from developing anal cancer in future is there any candidate for hpv therupetic vaccine in making which will be approved in near future is there any dietry reccomendations , so that i can keep by anus fit. finally, i read regular use of immiquomod cream helps in eliminating hpv lessions, shall i use it. thanks

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

First off, congrats on your overall health!

To get into your question.. HPV, the virus that can cause warts and leads to various cancers, is very common among sexually people. In most cases the virus will "clear" on its own after a few years, meaning that it's basically cured. It's possible that this could have happened in your case..

Also, it's important to note that warts are very different than the path to cancer. It's a separate process for both to happen. So the warts themselves are not the first step to developing cancer.

While the risk for people living with HIV is higher for anal cancer that can be balanced by having regular anal pap smears. This is something you should talk to your regular doctor about (if you don't have a regular doctor, that's definitely something to look into!)

The HPV vaccines that are currently available prevent HPV, they are not therapeutic.. However, there are many subtypes of HPV and they protect against four. If you were to get it, it would protect against the ones that you don't already have.

The cream will only help with the warts if you still have them.. But to remove warts in the genital area it's ALWAYS necessary to have a doctor do it. The skin is so much more sensitive around there..

Lastly, I would talk to a regular doctor about effective diets/health strategies that can put your body in the strongest position to prevent and manager any future health challenges!

Check out our articles on Anal Cancer & HIV/AIDS too.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
red macule/possible HIV exposure
Next
What Do You Think of My Safer-Sex Strategy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.