Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety over minor bite "Unusual Route ??? PLEASE HELP , worried about the kids !!!!"
Apr 12, 2012

Hello,Experts I had a question about possible transmission. My fiancee's son 6 yrs. old)was bitten on his hand at school last month(march). I checked and noticed a small almost scratch on it when he got home. He said it didn't bleed at all. I read online that infection from bites has occurred when there is "trauma and extensive tissue damage" since this doesn't seem to be the case should i be worried?? My finance of course has normal daily interactions with him but she often cleans his backside or wipes his nose and then rubs her own eyes or scratches herself not overly concerned that she's in contact with his fluids. Also he plays with my kids and has a habit of picking his nose(not wiping) and puts his hands in his mouth and touches my kids faces ( he gripped my a son's nostrils in play)i'm worried about trace amounts of blood in snot/boogers or saliva carried via finger. Am i overreacting??? i have read that there is an extremely remote to slight risk of infection from bites and what about the finger scenarios?? I can't get this out of my head. I worry about HIM and MY KIDS. She won't have him tested and thinks I'm nuts. It's caused some strain in our relationship, please enlighten me if they (her son or my kids) are at significant risk??

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There's no HIV in the story you're describing. There's no risk here whatsoever. Her child and your children are doing things that all kids do.

It sounds like part of you already knows that though.. but the struggle for you is in letting it go. We here at the forum can give you confirmation that there's no risk. We can also go to lengths to explain why (quick answer: her son's hand's skin wasn't Broken).

But I suspect that this really isn't about the supposed "risk" of HIV, but rather about your ability to manage your anxiety. Whether that's caused by real things or things you're imagining to be there (like in this case).

It can help to find a trusted person to talk to about this. I'd suggest looking for a mental health professional who can help guide you in feeling better over the long-term. Please consider this.. as it sounds like your inability to get through this is hurting your relationship.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
worry about breastmilk comes out... please respond..I'm really worry and scared..
Next
STD with condom?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.