Enlarged Lymph Node!?!? Is this sort of transmission possible. Please answer...

Hi Shannon,

I am a 29 year old hetrosexual man. The last two years I've had an enlarged node on the right side of my neck beneath back of my jaw. Maybe beneath my tonsil. I've seen my doctors and they've said it's normal size but touching it, it feels a lot larger.

I don't do drugs and I've been in a relationship for three years now. The only thing I can think of is that I may have been infected when I was at a hospital. A man vomitted on me once. I didn't get any in my face but I may have rubbed my face several minutes afterwards and maybe unbeknownst to me there was vomit on my hands. Nothing was really thought of it at the time.

My question is does this sound like a possible route of transmission? Does vomit even transmit hiv? I just want to know the odds. Please respond back.

Thank You, Heath

Hi There could be many reason for your lymph nodes to be enlarged, rubbing on it and obsessing on it doesn't help. The vomit experience could carry a risk if the person has HIV, a high viral load, there was blood in the vomit and you had a recent cut or an opening for the virus to enter into your body. Your best peace of mind action is to be tested. The standard for testing is 3 weeks from the day of exposure and then 3 months.

Breast Milk and HIV transmission
H.I.V