Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Lisa I, good question on WBC variation - nobody to ask!
Apr 3, 2012

Hello Dr. many thanks in advance for taking the time to help me I think from previous answers you might be the expert I need. I live in a country where I am a foreign worker and a HIV +ve status will result in my deportation. Medical expertise here is notoriously low (although facilities are good), so I dont have many options for "second opinion". I only have opportunities to check my sexual health whenever I have chance to leave the country (limited) Early Dec 2011: had HIV test Biolytic INSTI test and p-24 antigen test both negative also negative for syphilis, gonnorhea, chlamidya, Hep A, Hep B o After risky vaginal sex with few unknown-status females, last risk 4 months before test - zero risky encounters since

Early Jan 2012: began to experience neuropathic symptoms mostly in hands and feet but also in upper arms, legs sporadic relatively minor tingling, numbness etc which didnt have a definitive pattern but did seem to be related to posture (computer use) / fatigue / heavy gym sessions (I am an overweight ex-boxer who still tries to keep the spirit alive..) Mid-Jan 2012: did full check up(no STD screening) My results came back all normal (except overweight) and Dr. determined from questions / control / sensitivity tests that my neuropathy wasnt indicative of something serious gave me vitamin B12 supplements and a medicine called Lyrica to try for 10 days. I did not experience recurrence thru end-Feb Early March 2012: hand (mostly) and feet symptoms recurred, incl. pain, went back to another Dr. (my company insurance moved to diff. clinic) 20-25 March: several check-ups and testsCBC, blood sugar etc all came back normal except o Low vitamin B12 o Deficient vitamin D o Dr. thinks those are the cause and gave me supplements My question: In reviewing the results of the CBC from late March vs. the one from mid-Jan, I noticed by WBC had declined from 7.4 000(0?) per microlitre to 5.6 I pointed this out to the Dr. and he said it was normal and in line with the other movements within the CBC between the 2 tests (increase in various things associated with the red blood cells and other stuff I didnt catch), and that WBC varies depending on state of your body, time of day etc (I was just recovered from minor cold last time) - I didnt of course enquire about HIV do you think it could be indicative of HIV? I have not been worried about HIV since my test in Dec, and zero risky sex since but I am suddenly very anxious. Also I have had 3 colds this winter season from Nov to Feb - 1 heavy (just a cold though, for 2 days, no fever or aches), 1 light and 1 medium from Nov-Feb but I hadnt had any for 3 years before that. Appreciate your insight if I should get further testing for HIV the next time I have a chance. Many thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- From the symptoms, lab results and risk history you presented, I do not think that what you describe is indicative of HIV infection. While I can't quite explain your recurrent neuropathy, I feel confident HIV is not the cause. It also seems like the doctors are doing a very good job and evaluating you and prescribing appropriate tests and therapies. I wish you the best of luck. Take care,

LHW

Previous
Please
Next
hiv and jauindece

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.