Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

ccr5 delta 32

My husband of 10 years tested positive 14 months ago with a t-cell count of 48 and a viral load of over 1,000,000. Neither of us had ever had an HIV test before....we are both in our 50's and truly should have known better.

We had 10 years of vigorous happy completely unprotected sex and somehow I remained HIV negative. Could I have the genetic double mutation of the ccr5 delta 32, and is there a way of getting a test for it? How unusual is it that I have remained Negative?....Just so you know, now we ALWAYS practice safer sex, and my husband's t-cell count is up to 265 and a vl of below 50.YaY!!

Great question, thanks. You may well carry a mutation that leads to your CD4 cells being deficient in or completely devoid of the CCR5 receptor, which the virus uses to enter T cells. The mutation is rare but less so in people of European decent. It does not confer absolute protection as the virus can sometimes use an alternative receptor.

This mutation can be tested for but I suspect it will cost you. Talk to your husband's doctor as she/he may have some insights as to where you can seek testing.

Is Protected.....really protected?
Clarification