Testing after unprotected anal sex, "Is it conclusive enough...?"

Hi, I'm a 28 year old gay male that engaged in unprotected anal sex (lack of judgement on my part) on 24 December 2011 where I was the recipient whereby my partner said he was clean and also ejaculated inside of me. Anyways, I had a complete STD/HIV test done at my local health department on 16 March 2012 Friday but the results haven't gotten back yet and that the latest date my results would be available is on 29 March 2012 Thursday. Given my anxiousness, I had the OraQuick ADVANCE Rapid/Clearview COMPLETE HIV 1/2 Antibody Test performed on 26 March 2012 Monday which resulted in a NEGATIVE test result. Since my rapid HIV test was done at the start of my 14th week since possible exposure, am I safe in concluding that I'm HIV negative since I haven't had any sex partners since 24 December 2011? Also, is there any possibility that my rapid HIV test would report a false negative on the start of my 14th week whereas my blood test done by the heath department taken at the end of my 12th week since possible exposure would report a true positive? I plan on abstaining from any further sexual contacts/exposures until I'm in a committed relationship as I don't want to go through this type of ordeal again, therefore, is it still necessary for me to get tested again at the 6 month mark post possible exposure even though I don't have a compromised immune system yet in the high risk group given my actions? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You're negative for HIV. It sounds like you've done exactly what you need to do to figure out your status!

The recommendation to get tested at 3 months/90 days/12 weeks is based on statistics that tell us that someone who is HIV+ would almost always get an accurate test by that time. As you can imagine, that's not because something magical happens when the 90th day after exposure starts. It's more about around that time. So if you're a few days off, it's no big deal.

Also, a rapid test is just as conclusive as a blood test.. so no worries there.

I can sympathize with you for wanting to abstain from "sexual contacts/exposures" to avoid going through this again. But consider for a moment, this wasn't about you haven't sex, this was about having unprotected sex. There's a big difference! You can still have a happy healthy sex life inside and outside a committed relationship.

Hope this helps!

Erik

"Urgent Im in the 72hr window still..pls help"
Unprotected sex while on a break from relationship "17 years old think its over now.."