Possible "exposure" from gunshot victim

I was on scene of a gunshot victim... being a former EMT I knew I was the only one present at the time to help this individual until the EMTs arrived. In the process of cutting his clothing off I was pricked very slightly by the sissor. This cut was so small and barely broke my skin. I subsequently washed my hands. Contacted my doctor for baseline bloodwork. I was not aware my doctor put in a script for post exposure treatment until over a week later due to an incompetent pharmacist ...needless to say I am panicking tremendously...not to mention temporarily uninsured. Any advice / calming probability rates would be very much appreciated

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Thank you for your courage in helping this person in need! In situations like this it can be important to think and act quickly.

That being said, doesn't sound like you were at risk for HIV or Hepatitis B/C. From what you're telling me, it sounds like you didn't have a way for this person's blood to get into your body. This "prick" by your report "barely broke your skin." Let's compare this to a situation where you could've accidentally sliced your arm open while repositioning the gunshot victim who was bleeding a lot. Very different situations, right?

This "cut" didn't really get all the way through your layers of skin down to where you could bleed.

Additionally, HIV is relatively hard to get and dies quickly in the open air.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Thank you very much sir
"Urgent Im in the 72hr window still..pls help"