Unprotected Oral Sex but Protected Anal Sex between Gay Men

Hi Mr. Cordova:

I'm 24 year old male, had casual sex with an online member of a gay/bi dating site. To summarize my sex history after my HIV testing, the details are the following:

December 9, 2010: I had my HIV-AIDS Antigen Test after abstaining male-to-male casual sex from May 2010 (don't know the exact date).

December 16, 2010: My HIV-AIDS Antigen Test Result was Non Reactive. (HIV Negative)

December 26, 2010: I had a Protected Oral Sex (both Penetrative and Receptive) with a 27-Year Old Uncut Guy in his Boarding House. After this happened, I had my throat problems.

March 9, 2011: I had an Unprotected Oral Sex (as a receptive partner) and Protected Anal Sex (being penetrative partner, Top) to another 21-year old gay man in the lodge.

May 31, 2011: I had a Non-Penetrative Casual Sex (Purely Deep Kissing and Mutual Masturbation) with another 25-year old gay man in a lodge. After this happened, I developed a bleeding gums and throat problems.

October 28, 2011: Both of my another 22-year old gay man had an Unprotected Oral Sex (as a Receptive and Penetrative). As a receptive partner, I also performed him Oral Sex with my bleeding gums but he did not ejaculate to my mouth. After the sex happened, I spit with my bleeding saliva.

November 1, 2011: I had Protected Anal Sex (being penetrative partner, Top) to a 24-Year Old Cut Guy in his bestfriend's apartment.

March 27, 2012: I had Protected Anal Sex (being penetrative partner, Top) to another 24-year old gay man in his boarding house. But the problem there, was I had my Deep Kissing and Unprotected Oral Sex with my bleeding gums to him (as a receptive partner). He did not ejaculate to my mouth. I ejaculated with my condom.

Will I have any possibilities to become a HIV+ after having these casual sex within these months? Is there any possibilities that there is an increasing HIV transmission after having oral sex with my bleeding gums to these two gay men? Is there any possibilities that there is an increasing HIV transmission after having anal sex with my protected condom to them? I had not been tested for HIV for a required 6 months. I keep abstaining but I was tempted for casual sex so I was not reached 6 months before HIV testing. Is there will be an HIV test even less than 6 months of abstinence? For now, I'm worried, scared and confused to become it happen to my health status. I really hope and appreciate you that I will be enlighten with your expert insights and advices. Thanks.

03.27.12: End of Casual Sex

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The window period for HIV testing is three months. It only takes three months to get a conclusive negative test result. In fact, most people who are infected will show up positive by the 28th day.

I do not consider protected penetrative sex a big risk, and I do not suggest that people test for those incidences in particular. In regards to oral sex, your bleeding gums certainly increased the risk, but the risk still remains low. I would suggest a visit to the dentist to discuss the cause of your bleeding gums.

Nothing you have done was a high-risk for HIV. I would suggest a full panel of STD testing every six months, or at least once a year. You mention problems with your throat. Some STD's like Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can cause a severe sore throat as one of their symptoms. If your sore throat persists, I would recommend doing a full STD screening sooner rather than later. Be sure that when they test you, they do a throat swab, as this is the only way to test for those STD's in the throat as Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are site specific. This means that testing must be done at the site of the infection.

Bottom line: You risk for HIV was low. You can get a conclusive HIV test result at three month. Follow up with a dentist about your bleeding gums, and if that sore throat persists, be sure to be tested (orally) for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.

In health,

Richard

Herpes risk from yourself or toilet seat "An Uneducated Guess"
"Anal Grinding HIV Risk"