No way... The Condom Broke

I was having sex with a sex worker and when I pulled out the worst thing happened. The condom was broken. I was inside to 10 minutes or so and have no idea of when it broke. She said every thing would be fine. I asked if she had been tested to which she answered "I just had an exam" and I am ok. I don't know this person and how many men she has been with. I am freaked out and thinking the worst. I had a HIV test a couple of months ago and was neg. I not sure if I should try and find a Doc and start a PEP program? It has been 24 hrs. I will test again in 6 weeks and see what comes of it. ANy input would be great.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

There was definitely a risk since the condom broke. Luckily, the fact that you were the insertive partner, and this was a one-time occurrence means that the chances of transmission occurring are significantly lower.

Past 72 hours PEP is no longer effective and I'm not sure if it's even warranted in this situation.If the sex worker was using a condom with you, hopefully she is using them with all her clients.

I would get tested at the three month mark. I am confident that your HIV test will be negative from this incident. A full STD screening should be done every six months, or at least once a year.

In health,

Richard

Condom Broke During Anal Penetration
hiv from needle prick in africa