The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

scared of getting tested risky bleeding gums during oral sex

Mar 25, 2012

This is probably my fifth try. I know the oral sex questions never stop but please help me. To make the long story short, I gave unprotected oral sex to a person of unknown status. It only lasted for a couple of minutes, he did not cum and there was little to no precum. I think I wiped it with my fingers. The problem is that my gums bleed when I brush. If I had a small cut in my gums, am I at risk. I am really scared about getting tested. Please help!

I want to add that I was concerned becAuse I developed a painless throat 6 days later. I tested negative for gonorrheA chlamydia mono and strep. I took antibiotics and it went away but I then developed a white tongue which I tested negative for yeast.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi We do know that the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex carries the lowest risk, but having open sores can increase that transmission, SOME, but not a lot. My thought about oral sex and brushing your teeth is that I make sure that it has been about 45 minutes after brushing this gives your mouth the opportunity to recover and close the openings. If this is the time between brushing and giving oral than you are fine. Your sore throat could be from many different things, just a sore throat, allergies, another type of viral infection a cold anything along those line, but HIV no.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

unusual possible exposures?
hiv + and he is not

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint