Hiv+ patient and G-tube contents got on arm.

I was opening the g-tube of a HIV+ patient and some clear fluid either gastric contents/ or water from the flush got on my arm. My skin was intact. Should I be worried about getting HIV I washed the area with soap and water quickly. Even if my skin was not intact is there a risk?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

HIV transmission occurs when there is exchange of one of the four bodily fluids that are able to transmit the virus. Those are blood, semen, and vaginal secretions. The acids in your stomach will kill the virus. You were not at risk, and I would not be concerned.

In the future, all incidences, no matter how minor - should be reported to your direct supervisor immediately. They have protocols in place for occupational exposures to HIV and other diseases.

In health,

Richard

white tongue HIV
Question about Chlamydia